WELCOME TO LETHALITY GAMING
?

Looking for a CABLE MODEM need some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Computer and Tech Help' started by Daddio, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Daddio

Daddio Just a grumpy old man...

Currently looking at this one on Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825390006

ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem – 600 MHz Dual-Thread Processor

Also can I have more than one hooked up on my cable? say if I wanted my kids one in each of their rooms. Do I need 3 accounts or 1 account and the modems all use the same info from my service provider.

2. Daphonic

Daphonic Gentleman Viking Grand Elder Elder

3. Veee

Veee Member

I personally suggest leasing[​IMG] and modem/router from your ISP, while yes there are more expensive and nicer modems/routers out their you can buy, the benefit of leasing, at least with every ISP I have used, is that if anything goes wrong with your interwebs, or you speed is not correct, or your losing connection randomly, your ISP is fully to blame for the technical issues and will come out and address the problem until it is resolved. This includes replacing your modem/router combo until you are getting the correct service you are paying for.

Alternatively, if you have your own hardware, and don't quote[​IMG] me on this, this is just from my experience with Charter, AT&T and Verizon, they will charge you if they have to come out to address a problem and the problem is not in the outside line or hub coming from the base-station and it is determined it is a inside the home issue.

Therefore, leasing your modem and router, despite the $5-10 per month fee, I find to be well worth it, since it will take you 1-3 years to pay back the cost of buying nice equipment (assuming you have no service charges) and on top of that you have a free pass to constantly complain about not having optimal service from your ISP if you are having slow download and upload speeds[​IMG], or intermittent disconnects.

Just some food for thought from past experience with ISPs.

4. Daphonic

He cant lease a cable modem. due to the Fact he has Phone with them. Talked to him a bit last night. He is stuck with the Wireless Router he has. He is best turning off the Wireless Router, and going with his Own Router at this point.

5. Veee

Veee Member

Why can't he get a lease a modem? What does having a land line have to do with them leasing him a modem?

6. Daddio

I have a leased modem, from Xfinty, it sucks. But what I am going to wind up getting is a better router.

7. Daphonic

When you have Phone through Comcast, you have to have an EMTA, so you no longer can get a normal Modem. You have to have an EMTA, but comcast is pushing those shitty Wireless Routers now. I hated it so bad, I dropped my land Line and went with a normal modem.

Router I have
    Router I have Refurbished 150$

That router is insanely fast. But you need at least N wireless. Do you know what wireless adapter your Son has?

8. Veee

Veee Member

Yup same type I have, except mine is the R6300, the initial AC router netgear came out with. But its what they offered leased so I wasn't complaining. But yeah, unless you have laptops, tablets, or phones that have AC wifi band network adapters in them, then there is no point in buying anything past N band wifi routers.

As for the EMTA modem, I didn't know that, and in that case I would 100% get rid of it, what on earth do you need a land line for? There is literally no reason to have one nowadays unless you want to have a fax machine connected to it, and I really can't think of too many reasons you need a fax machine nowadays either.

9. Daphonic

I do agree 100% if you have Cell Phones Land Lines are Obsolete, and can save you the $35+ a month. Unless you need it for an Alarm, or something along those lines. I only suggest getting AC now, for future proof, all new Cellphones, laptops, anything you buy now is AC. N is pretty much dead.

10. Veee

Veee Member

Yup for sure, AC is about put into any new device nowadays. As for the alarm system in the home, if the land line is for that reason, change alarm companies or systems with your current company. Having an alarm system that reaches the authorities or the company is not going to stop an intelligent home invasion, they can easily be cut. Most newer alarm systems from almost any of the major alarm companies are connected through a satellite connection and cannot be as easily by passed like a land line.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daddio

ok my son bought and paid for the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router. Just came via mail and it was really easy to set up. Had to call comcast to have them disable the WIFI from the router we have from them. No options for users to disable the wifi.. lol Bright side of the new router our wireless devices are now 5g..lol

12. Daphonic

How are you're wireless Devices 5g?

13. Daddio

no the router is supposedly at 5g, stuff is still 3g but seems to have a way stronger signal now.